Thursday, June 24, 2010

Do I need to use a desktop PC as a wireless hub for networked computers, or could a laptop work for this?

I am currently using a desktop pc with a wireless card as a ';hub'; for my kids' laptops. The desktop is on its last legs and needs to be ';retired';. Would I have to replace it with another desktop, or could another laptop do the job? I am thinking it would have to be a desktop, so I would have one computer always connected to the modem... Thanks for any advice! :-)Do I need to use a desktop PC as a wireless hub for networked computers, or could a laptop work for this?
I know it's expensive, but you could buy a wireless modem/router. It would turn out to be good value, especially if you have several laptops in the house. If you choose to get another desktop pc further down the track, you could plug it into that device as well and it would still work fine.Do I need to use a desktop PC as a wireless hub for networked computers, or could a laptop work for this?
A laptop would work but it would have to be in one place, attached to the modem.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
virus protection