Thursday, June 24, 2010

Someone told me that u can get a refund for the miles u commute every day back & forth to work, is this true?

I commute 49.5 miles to work and the same back five days a week. I heard some rumor that if you are not covered by work related expenses (yeah, like they'd pay my gas bill) that you can claim it on your taxes and get a partial refund. Does anyone know if this is true or not cause I would LOVE to know and the internet hasnt helped me and I hate looking at anything that has to do with math hehe!Someone told me that u can get a refund for the miles u commute every day back %26amp; forth to work, is this true?
According to the IRS web site, you can't claim miles for travel TO work, but you can claim miles you travel while doing work. For instance, if your employer asks you to deliver something for the business to another vendor, you can log your miles and get reimbursed / tax credit for them.





Commuting to work, however, isn't covered.Someone told me that u can get a refund for the miles u commute every day back %26amp; forth to work, is this true?
I travel 60% of the time in my job and:


IRS Commute over 50 miles may be deductible at $0.445 per mile (2006 Rate) if you meet ALL criteria.


If you are away from home and staying in a motel for assignmnent you can deduct the mileage, even though you are on Per Diem.


Again you must meet ALL criteria.


In your case it sounds like an old Urban Myth I have heard for years rising from the scenarios above.


You have the IRS website in previous answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
virus protection